Mike Kolls (L) for Congress
United States House of Representatives
My general complaint is Mr Trump is more of the same – an advocate of BIG gov’t.
He has NO compunction using the power/coercion of gov’t to advance his “agenda”.
He (at times) says smaller gov’t things, but also desires expanded gov’t.
His proposed FY18 budget is over $4 TRILLION. This is more than Mr Obama’s BIG gov't budget requests….
Mr Trump has taken action consistent with his campaign rhetoric. I don't always agree with his policies, but he has certainly taken action to enable them. I admire him for walking-the-walk.
Mr Trump has had a few victories, as of Dec 2017:
My positions on the issues below are mostly expressed elsewhere on this website. I will briefly state my agreement or departure. Links are provided for additional detail.
The Trump “agenda” … as best as I can glean [late Aug 2017 with updates] from television media reports, includes:
1. Bolster the US Economy?This is NOT a “federal issue”; it belongs to THE PEOPLE exchanging goods and services in a Free Market.
There should be NO "nudges" by gov't. Gov't must NOT pick winners and losers.
2. Repeal The “Affordable” Care Act (ACA)The looming repeal of the Individual Mandate [Dec 2017] moves ACA closer to a Free Market solution. Now, further action is needed to fully remove gov't from the patient-doctor relationship.
And... ACA still has its fatal flaw... .
3. Spending CutsModest efforts to eliminate federal programs has been window-dressing; more spending cuts are needed. Serious spending reductions are the only way to correct our debt-ladened, federal, financial position.
4. War? - The Islamic State, Afghanistan...NO more foreign wars. Our global meddling since WWII has NOT produced peace, nor stability.
Isn’t insanity doing the same thing and expecting a different result?
5. Tax “Reform”GOP Tax "Reform" [Dec 2017] falls far short in "solving" our economic woes. Real improvement can only be achieved by seriously addressing the annual federal deficit and the massive federal debt. Tinkering with taxes today is yugely irresponsible.
6. Sanctions?No. Sanctions are a declaration of economic war. They strain relationships between nations; we do NOT need additional international tension.
Closer to home, sanctions adversely affect US exporters (about 10% of US GDP). It is irresponsible to unnecessarily reduce exports.
7. Build The Wall?No. Our broken immigration system is NOT illegal border crossings. Generous benefits draw immigrants and further strain public welfare systems… and taxpayers. It is time to remove benefits for non-citizens.
8. Walk Away from NAFTA?The removal of all trade barriers is good. These provisions need to remain - treaty or no treaty.
The results of NAFTA has shifted economic advantage to Mexico, the big winner under NAFTA. Picking winners-and-losers is NOT right. All 3 participant nations should benefit – a rising tide that raises all boats.
9. Sanctuary Cities?This is a local decision. Mr Trump should NOT try to exert “influence”.
Illinois has voted to become a Sanctuary State. Numerous cities have also acted. Let’s see how this works out.
Even better, individual citizens should shape public policy by visiting city hall... or moving.